Monday 16 February 2009

Alpine Adventures and Savoyard Savouries



Last Known Whereabouts - The Alps


This weekend I left the low countries for the dizzying altitude of Geneva and the French Alps. Thanks to the good snowfall this year, there were excellent conditions on and off piste. My off piste exploring did not stop at whizzing through thick powder either; I also pushed the bounds of my regional food knowledge. Having been to the Haute Savoie a fair few times, I thought I had experienced a lot of the local fare - ham, cheese, bread in any order you wish. Imagine my surprise when I found two new dishes in one lunchtime! These being Tartiflette pizza, and Raclette-in-a-bun. Well, it would have been rude not to try them, having climbed so high and skied so far to discover them, so in spite of skiing for hour upon hour, I am sure I descended the mountain a few kilos heavier than when I went up.

3 comments:

  1. Don't you mean a "Raclette Burger"? Now that sounds good!

    Damn you and your good skiing conditions! Over in Hongkers we have had as much smog as you had snow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried skiing through the smog? Or perhaps it's more like wake-boarding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Smogboarding" has certain ring to it.

    ReplyDelete